The Privacy Act gives our Investigators certain powers. Here's an overview:
What we can do
- Assess whether there's been a breach of the Privacy Act, and if so, how much.
- Compel agencies to meet with you.
- Compel agencies to provide us with information (although we cannot compel them to provide you with information).
What we can't do
- Force agencies to provide you with information
- Force agencies to pay you
- Levy fines
- Force you to accept a settlement offer
- Force anyone to accept our findings